Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Tonight I Can Write The Saddest Lines...

Photo by creativity+
( see image information below)
.
Tonight I can write the saddest lines.
.
Write, for example : "The night is full of stars,
and the stars, blue, shiver in the distance."
.
The night wind whirls in the sky and sings.
.
Tonight I can write the saddest lines
I loved her, and sometimes she loved me too.
.
On nights like this, I held her in my arms.
I kissed her again and again under the endless sky.
.
She loved me sometimes , and I loved her too.
How could I not have loved her large, still eyes?
.
Tonight I can write the saddest lines.
To think I don't have her. To feel that I've lost her.
.
To hear the immense night, more immense without her.
And the verse falls to the soul as dew to the pasture.
.
What does it matter that my love couldn't keep her.
The night is full of stars and she is not with me.
.
That's all. Far away, someone sings. Far away.
My soul is lost without her.
.
As if to bring her near, my eyes search for her.
My heart searches for her and she is not with me.
.
The same night that whitens the same trees.
We, we who were, we are the same no longer.
.
I no longer love her, that's certain, but how I loved her.
My voice searched the wind to touch her hearing.
.
Another's. She will be another's. As she once
belonged to my kisses.
Her voice, her light body. Her infinite eyes.
.
I no longer love her, that's certain, but perhaps I love her.
Love is so short , forgetting is so long.
.
Because on nights like this I held her in my arms,
my soul is lost without her.
.
Though this be the last pain she makes me suffer,
and these the last verses that I write for her.
.
Pablo Neruda
.
About the poet : Pablo Neruda ( July 12,1904 - September 23, 1973) was a Chilean writer and a communist leader. Neruda , who won Nobel Prize for literature in 1971, is considered one of the greatest and most influential poets of the 20th century.
This poem is one of my favorite poems of all times. It's absolutely moving and almost makes me cry everytime I read it. I read this comment on the poem - " Any single woman who can understand this poem and it's meaning; please marry me! ! " What a great poem..love, pain, joy and everything in between...." Which is what the poem is precisely about...love, pain, joy and everything in between .
.
Resources:
[1] Read more about Pablo Neruda at Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pablo_Neruda
[3] Listen to this lovely recitations of this moving poem by Andy Garcia at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXHPk-ctoYY

Image Information : This image is from http://flickr.com/photos/bestrated1/210012508/

No comments: