Monday, April 18, 2011

I am OM

Polynesia by Henri Matisse


[aum ity etad akṣaram idam sarvam, tasyopavyākhyānam
bhūtam bhavad bhaviṣyad iti sarvam auṁkāra eva
yac cānyat trikālātītaṁ tad apy auṁkāra eva

OM! - this eternal cosmic sound is the whole of visible universe.
The past, present, future - all of this is
OM.
And what is beyond these three states
- that too - is OM.

- The Mandukya Upanishad ]


All my life I wanted to be a diary
To feel togetherness with all loose papers
inside of me. It would be nice to hear
about people's lives. To know what made
them laugh and cry
on any given day. To have them
pour their hearts on me. I would
be the best listener in the whole
wide world. To feel
blue ink who am
I's. I know I have
been blank. Dressed up
in fine silk cover. Waiting for
dreams, hopes and memories
to fill me up. To merge my
being with someone's story.

All my life I wanted to be a story.
A funny story. The one which
makes you laugh so much
that you tear up and the stomach
starts to hurt and you say - Oh
for heaven's sake stop please stop!
All my life I wanted to stop.
to stop doing something
every single minute. To not
run after something
or somewhere. From
something or someone. To pause and
feel the rush of air.

All my life I wanted to merge with air.
free flowing air. Air on the
mountain top. Dust storm
in the dessert. Swirling,
twirling. The rising and falling
breath of life. Dancing with a sparrow.
All my life I wanted to be a sparrow.
Wild bird. House bird. I would sit on
A five hundred year old oak tree branch
and chirp and hop and
flock on green summer grass.

All my life I wanted to be the grass.
Dream of brown mud. Morning
dew on my skin. Squirrels playing
with me. Little girl jumping
a pink rope. Counting till one
hundred four.Children's rhyme
playing on radio wave.

All my life I wanted to be a radio wave.
To switch between amplitude and
frequency modulation. Dial in program
for loved and lost. Make someone
discover a friend or a two months
old child given for adoption twenty
years back.To play love songs for
some broken hearts. Dedicate
A message for solidier at some
distant post - Come back soon.I wait
for you. Ah! I will play the most
soul stirring songs.WHEN YOUR
HEART'S ON FIRE SMOKE GETS
IN YOUR EYES. LEAN ON ME. HELP
ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE
NIGHT. PLAY IT SAM - AS TIME
GOES BY. Break on radio turns me into
Public service message:SAVE THE
WHALE. DON'T LET CORRUPT POLITICIAN
OUT ON BAIL. EQUITY OF FEMALE.
TAKE A BREAK FROM WORK
GO OUT TO OCEAN AND SAIL.

And I have wanted to be the living
room where that message plays. The
silver diner open late at night.The
study whose reading lights are on. Passing
through empty space.I travel through
nothing, yet I am something.
I am OM

-Neha

NaPoWriMo Daily Prompt #17: Imitate this one, using the "all my life" repetition structure... http://www.bu.edu/agni/poetry/print/2002/56-dischell.html


No comments: